North Hatley’s Municipal Council
North Hatley’s Municipal Council consists of seven members:
- Mayor: Michael Page
- Seat no. 1: Pauline Farrugia, councillor
- Seat no. 2: Marcella Davis Gerrish, councillor
- Seat no. 3: Guy Veillette, councillor
- Seat no. 4: Elizabeth Fee, councillor
- Seat no. 5: Claude Villeneuve, councillor
- Seat no. 6: Alexandre-Nicolas LeBlanc, councillor
The roles of elected representatives
Elected representatives play mainly two roles: first as representatives of the citizens, and second as legislators.
Elected representatives must express as faithfully as possible the ideas and opinions of the citizens they represent, since they are often asked by citizens to look into certain matters.
Elected representatives are responsible for establishing policies and regulations in the best interest of the citizens, within the competencies of the Municipal Council. They also take decisions about hiring staff and awarding contracts, with an eye to the effective use of the Municipality’s resources.
The responsibilities of elected officials
The Mayor’s major responsibilities include the following:
- Preside over meetings and work with other elected members.
- Exercise the right to monitor and control municipal services.
- Ensure that municipal revenues are collected and disbursed according to the law.
- Represent the Municipality and its population in the meetings of the Regional County Municipality (RCM).
- In case of an emergency, take the necessary decisions to ensure the safety and security of the citizens.
- Apply the regulations and resolutions adopted by the Council.
- Participate in other democratic bodies as necessary.
The responsibilities of the elected councillors consist of the following:
- Attend municipal meetings and represent the interests of the population.
- Sit on other committees established by the Council.
- Fill in as Deputy Mayor, if necessary.
You can get in touch with the Council at firstname.lastname@example.org